Thursday, January 13, 2011

ARTFUL THURSDAY: Let's Get Ready To Rumble-- Arena as Art!


Given that the Isthmian Games figure largely in my current WIP, today's Artful Thursday takes a peek at Ancient Greek arenas, theatres, and stadiums. My MC Caenus travels from Iolkos to Corinth to compete in these fierce games. Follwing is a smattering of what he likely found when he arrived.

Enjoy.

p.s. It's all right if you allow the same jitters and nervous anxiety to inhabit your soul as you try to *feel* what Caenus must have felt.














6 comments:

  1. Beautiful arenas.

    It makes me want to go back to Greece.

    Have you ever been there? Visiting these incredible works of art really give you a sense of what ancient times were like.

    It's an amazing feeling to walk around ruins thousands of years old.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael, I have actually not been (sadly). One of the great disappointments in my life thus far. I do plan to make a pilgrimmage VERY soon.

    Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photos are awe inspiring. Greek or Roman ruins are so impressive. The two most impressive sites I've been to were the columns littering the streets in the port of SIDE in Turkey and the mosaics and the view down to the sea from a Roman villa in Cyprus. But I've never been to America :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Elaine. OMG I soooo dream of seeing the ruins in Turkey just as much as some of the Greek ones. And that view to the sea from the Roman villa in Cyprus sounds divine.

    Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pic's. thats it - we are packing our bags for Europe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha, Xakousti! I know, right?!?! I'm ready to go!

    ReplyDelete