Thursday, April 1, 2010

Clash of The Titans: Can You Remake A Classic?



In preparation for your descent upon the theatres on the Second of April, I implore you to re-watch, re-read, and otherwise brush up on your mythology, the Ancient Greek myth of Perseus, in particular. For, Clash of the Titans tells his tale. The myth of Perseus is so riveting that it has bled (no pun intended) into many areas of popular culture.
Here's our boy Perseus, holding the head of Medusa:
I have said it many times… I am unapologetically a mythology fiend. I love anything having to do with mythology. See previous posts on this blog. I am not kidding. So, you know that I am excited about the remake of this classic myth.

Though a superb product of the times in which it was rendered, the cinematography of the original was tired and labored and… horrible really (if I can be blunt. Are we not all friends here?). That fact did not, however, stop the original Clash of the Titans from becoming a cult classic. And, it did so not only with the help of a great story (praise the Greek gods and heroes) but also by some exemplary performances from the likes of Harry Hamlin, Maggie Smith, Ursula Andress, and of course Laurence Olivier as Zeus.


I do hope that the actors in the remake can fill the large shoes left for them. Of one thing I can be certain… the cinematography and special effects will undoubtedly move your tush to the edge of the seat. But, as we all know, it’s always the acting that creates the indelible impression.

So, without further ado, rush off to brush up on the myth of Perseus.
 


If you're still on the fence about this one, CHECK OUT THE TRAILER!!


SEE YOU AT THE MOVIES!!

3 comments:

  1. I hear that the Kraken thing doesn't really fit the mythology quite like it should. . . and something about a talking owl was very distracting to Sam while he was Acting. . . now about me as Apollo's Girlfriend? whaddaya think? quite the couple, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey--who (of course I mean WHAT) do I have to DO to get a cute blog award anyways??

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're absolutely correct about the Kraken! Not in Greek mythology. BUbo, the talking owl either, although the owl was the signature animal of Athena. But, I don't think COT makes that reference.
    You, Liz, would be a tantalizing interest for Apollo. Perhaps he will steal into your dreams... oh wait... that's for Scott Noir's blog, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete