Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Splendor of Persephone... Artful Thursday.


I'd wanted to do an Artful Thursday post featuring Persephone for a long time. But I needed to wait until the perfect moment. Ladies and Gents... it has arrived. Spring is upon us... full blown in some parts of my readership's world and just beginning in others. Believe it or not, I know people who are still getting snow... IN APRIL. Heavens To Demeter... your daughter has risen already, give these poor people a break, will ya.

So yes, Persephone is daughter of Zeus (king of the Greek gods) and Demeter (Greek goddess of harvest). The story goes that when Hades (Greek god of the Underworld) abducted Persephone, Demeter was so distraught that she cast the world into famine... there by giving us the seasons of Fall and Winter. When Persephone was allowed to return to the land of the living, Demeter blessed the earth with an amiable climate, and the flowers bloomed once again... there by giving us Spring and Summer.

So, without further ado... Persephone.







10 comments:

  1. LOL - I LOVE that you put in an homage to the Lightening Thief! :D Also think the story of Persephone is one of the most interesting in mythology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to put in that Lightning Thief reference... after all, it is an artistic reference to Persephone.
    Thx for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, thanks for that! Spring was def. here for Easter! Great month to Highlight Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a very interesting story about Persephone, now I have an idea about her character. I love the costume in one of the photos, I think I saw something like that in a Halloween Costume party, and she has a partner, a man in zoot suit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude! Just met you on Twitter. Nice blog. New follower.

    Nice ta meet ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I CANNOT BELIEVE some people actually LIKED that movie. Menaning that crappy thing they have the nerve to call the Lightning Thief. The books are PURE GOLD. The movie is...*cursing deleted*. from a die-hard fan OF THE BOOKS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you enjoyed the Riordan books. Books are for the enlightened.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my favorite Greek goddess and one of my favorite Greek myths! There are so many themes you can pull out of her story, its great :) And I love all the different artwork you posted representing her, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Оh my goodness! Inсгediblе artіcle dude!
    Τhank yοu, Hοwever Ι am going through diffіcultіes wіth your RSЅ.
    I don't understand the reason why I am unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody having identical RSS problems? Anyone who knows the answer can you kindly respond? Thanks!!

    Here is my page hcg diet food plan

    ReplyDelete
  10. No creditation for the pictures and painters?

    ReplyDelete