Thursday, March 3, 2011

Demeter- A Mother's Love... Artful Thursday

Spring is peeking it's head up from a long hibernation. Green grass appears where frost had turned it into winter wheat. Buds are forming anew on trees who'd wept their weight in lost leaves. Yes, in many areas in the northern hemisphere, Spring is just around the corner. As I look around my own city of Wilmington, NC, I see the ugly reminders of winter... bare trees, brown grass, et al... but I know that the annual Azalea Festival is in one month. And if you've never been or never seen, it's a sight to behold because azaleas are in full bloom and full regalia. More on that later.

But, it is the coming of spring that influences this Artful Thursday post on Demeter, Greek Goddess of Bountiful Harvest. Of course many of my readers are familiar with the myth in which Hades abducted Persephone, Demeter's daughter, and tricked her into staying in the Underworld for six months. And while she was down there, Demeter was so distraught that she neglected her duties to bring fertility to the Earth and nothing grew. That, my friends is how we have our seasons. Stay tuned for a more in depth post on young Persephone later.

So, without further ado... Demeter.









9 comments:

  1. I'm currently writing a story about Persephone, and I really love the scenes with Demeter. I can totally see her as a 60s hippie. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I have a WIP with Gaia, Zeus (who goes by his Roman name of Jove), and a few others...LOVE the GODS and GODDESSES!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Awesomesauce! I'm so glad to hear that the Gods and Goddess have inspire you! Can't wait to read snippits if and when you post them.

    Thanks for stopping by.
    ~Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wrote a character based on a wood nymph set in Olympus. It is fun to learn mythology and all the creatures that lived in their realm. Now I know who to come and ask questions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Mary, How cool is that? A nymph story set in Olympus. I hope it was fun to write! Yeah I'd love to be a resource for you. You're invited anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Christopher,
    I love spring too and all the blooming. Looking forward to it hitting here.
    I just gave you an award on my blog. Check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome photos. I adore Greek mythology. In fact, I'm writing a short story based on it.

    P.S.: Just a gentle reminder that my Race to 200 Blog Contest has started! Have you got your post ready yet? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Imagery Chris.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog so consistently. I'm sorry I don't come around as much as I used to. Just know that my blogging has dropped off considerably over the last couple months to accomodate my actual writing. And the day job.
    There are so many exciting things happening at your site . .

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Morgan, thanks so much!! I'll stop on by! *hugs*
    @J.C., I'm so sorry I missed the blogfest. I left you a message on your blog.
    @Donna, I completely understand. Get your own work done first and foremost! Happy Writing.

    ReplyDelete