Monday, October 11, 2010

"Hook, Line, and Sinker" Blogfest


Thanks to Justin Parente over at "In My Write Mind" for hosting this blogfest. Please visit his blog for the rest of the entries.

The premise of this blogfest is simple. Hook. The. Reader. But simple it is not to make a reader fall in love in precious few pages. It's somewhat akin to the last blogfest I did called "At First Sight." A writer has to get the reader to love their character in the first 500 to 1,000 words or else the reader will skip to the next book they're considering. We're competing for fleeting interests and scarce disposable income.

So here are the tests your story and character must past in the first 1,000 words or less.
  • Who is the character I am relating to?
  • Does he/she have a personality that I crave to read?
  • Is the world around them set up to compliment the character as they are introduced?
  • Are there secondary characters to assist the hook along, with conflict or pace?
  • Lastly: do I love the character? Do I want to read more about him/her?
So, without further ado, here are the first 770 words of "Caenus."  Do tell me if I've gotten your attention and you want to read more. And If not, tell me what's lacking.

***

“I need a strong son to reign when Hades darkens my doorstep!” the king barked. “You’ve won no sword fighting events and no archery contests. You can barely ride a horse. When will you be strong enough to command the military?”
Prince Caenus sidestepped a thrust from his friend’s sparring sword, feeling the heat of the king’s gaze needling his skin. During a brief lull in sparring action, the prince shot a sidelong glance toward where his brooding father sat on the wall surrounding the courtyard of the royal palace. Disappointment had bent the lines on King Kranos’ forehead.
A biting sword point poked Caenus’ ribcage, demanding the prince’s attention. Caenus shifted his sun-kissed frame. Dodging his friend’s advance, Caenus darted between fluted columns near the perimeter of the otherwise sparse courtyard.
Caenus’ best friend and sparring partner, Golan cut off the prince’s evasive maneuver.  And again, wood beat against wood. Jab. Swipe. Swing. Block. Dust rose from the ground in random clouds, kicked up by the swiftly moving feet of the two young men. Their sparring swords danced against one another as familiar foes.
 “Is that your best, Caenus?” Golan jeered, ducking a half-hearted swing of the prince’s sword. “Is there no more fight in you than this peasant’s display of swordsmanship?” 
Golan knocked the sword from Caenus’ grasp and, with the flick of his wrist, guided the tip of his own sword to Caenus’ throat.
“King Me!” Golan shouted with victorious confidence. He smiled broadly, perspiration creating sheen across his short crop of dark hair.
With Golan’s sword tip at his throat, Caenus looked around the courtyard slowly, again catching sight of his disapproving father. He appreciated the training session, but thoughts of his upcoming eighteenth birthday held center stage. Caenus brushed his hair from in front of his eyes. His squared jaw softened as he wiped beads of perspiration from the length of his straight nose into his loincloth, already dirty from the sparring session.
“I need to find a way to impress my Father,” Caenus whispered slowly, peering through a wispy brown curtain of his own hair.
“Yes you do!” Kranos blared directly into his son’s ear, grasping a handful of Caenus’ hair.
The prince gasped at the preternatural speed with which his father had crossed the courtyard.    
“Are You Training Or Playing Games?” Kranos barked again. “There is no place for the mediocre in the history of great men! ”
Caenus remained silent, deferent, his father’s disappointment slicing straight through him. He looked at his father diagonally due to how sharply his hair was being pulled.
“Are you destined to be like your worthless brothers?  I’ve not had a son yet that could even return from the games, let alone win them,” Kranos spat on the ground, shoving his son’s head. “If Iapetos and Adrastos could see you now, gods rest their souls. You’re not even half the prince they were.”
Caenus’ heart sank as a lump formed in his throat. His stomach clenched. A single tear formed at the corner of his eyes as thoughts of his deceased brothers bled into his father’s disappointment. Though he hadn’t known his brothers well, he still looked up to them. Now their ghosts haunted him.
“I know what’ll make a man of you,” Kranos growled. “I’m sending you to the Isthmian games to face your brothers’ demons.”
“What? No, I’m not ready…” Caenus willed the tears back.
“Get ready!” Kranos roared. “If it is my sons’ destiny to perish at the games, then you’ll either fulfill that destiny or return home victorious.”
Caenus had never really considered his destiny. That was, not until his father mentioned it. And even then, the concept seemed so ethereal that the prince slid it to the bottom of his consciousness.
“And if I don’t win…?”
 “If you do not win,” Kranos crackled, glaring at his youngest son. “You will fall in to the two year ephebos military training alongside all the other sons of Iolkos. Disowned. Disinherited. No longer a prince, but a plebe. You will live beside them in the filthy barracks. You will eat the same gruel they eat. And, you’ll have to fight every other son of Iolkos for the crown!”
“Will you not be proud to have me simply return from the games, victorious or not?”
 “Simply returning means you didn’t give it your all. Anyone can shrink away from the challenges to preserve their life. Only a win will release your brothers’ souls from their chains.” Kranos snapped. “I’d rather you die at the games if you’re not going to win!” 
Caenus’ throat dried to parching.



11 comments:

  1. Hi Chris,

    I always enjoyed your excerpts from Caenus and now I get to see him from the start. I'll do a few line nits and general thoughts as I see them.

    "sword fighting events and no archery contests." - This feels a tad bit weird. In the period, would they call them merely events and contests. The dialogue seems too lax like that. Aren't they, forgive me if I'm wrong, but maybe "bouts" or "duels." I know "bouts" is in boxing, but maybe there could be a correlation so it sounds stronger.

    The severity of Kranos' judgment on Caenus drew me in, but part of him seems god awful to boot. I know nothing about the period or how you intended to build Kranos as a father, but I would think that if he intended to keep his bloodline strong, he might try to build Caenus rather than knock him down. If the two brothers had not returned from the games, would he not treat him differently?

    That may be something to consider. If it throws off the entire course of what you've written, then disregard it. The writing is strong and the thought process of Caenus is nicely adapted to the reader from the start.

    Thanks for sharing.

    JWP
    In My Write Mind

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chris,

    Just stopping by for the fest.

    Your setting and characters were great. I like that we get a picture of the personal stakes of the MC, but I was left wanting to know what the 'bigger' conflict of the piece was. And as I write that, I realize my fest post is lacking that element as well. LOL.

    But these are short posts.

    Your prose is well done, with one line that threw me.

    """a single tear formed at the corners of his eyes...""" => if it's a 'single tear' it should be 'eye' unless it's one in both 'eyes' then it should be 'tears'.

    Thanks for the read.

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris: This was really entertaining. I liked the sword fight and getting to know the character through their interaction. Seems like a good hook to me. The other comments have already covered the things I was going to point out, so I'll just say good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa, Daddy Dearest, much? I so don't like the king--he's so mean, but I figure you were aiming for that, right? I feel for Caenus--he's all trying to get his father approval and has so much pressure on him to win the games. I fear he'll fail and then have to fight up the ranks to win back his crown, which will be a great read. In the opening paragraphs, I can really see them sparring with the dusting rising around their swift feet. Love how you described that with varying sentence lengths. I noticed the tear thing too, so fix that. Wonderful scene! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    Well this is a dead cheat! ;)

    A sword fight is always a "hook", conflict of father and son a taught "line", and the "sinker" is Caenus being pushed to his limits to prove to his father he is worthy of the crown come his time to wear it or win it.

    Nicely done, but a couple of tips from the daughter-in-law of a once archery champion (see my blog side panel book on medieval archery) - archery contests tend to be called tournaments, and sword fights, strangely, matches/duals as in honour fights/fencing. Hope the latter helps and doesn't piss you off. ;)
    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  6. This does give an more of a foundation to the scenes that we've been reading in the past. Well done and I definitely am interested in the story now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the constructive comments. You've no idea how nervous I was posting this. All comments have been well received and are under advisement. Thanks to your input, it might actually hook an agent. *crossing fingers* Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this -- really, I kept scanning down to read on. Truly hooked.
    Maybe I'd like him slightly more weighted with expectation -- he could be as bumbling as you can make him as long as his deficiencies come from fear of not living up to expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alas! I have found you again..had accidentally hit the "x" button whilst in the middle of my comment to you grrr!

    ok, time to re-think what I had wanted to post originally..*thinking cap*

    First, great opening with the sword fighting (awesome *napolean dynamite voice*). I always find it fascinating during this time period where men really believed in honor, sacrifice (of course usually of their son and not themselves), dishonor, bravery, protecting the kingdom, betrayal, loyalty, etc.

    It's something about characters like Troy or stories like "The Song of Roland" that center around a bunch of men who are MEN!

    Great DAD btw, wish mine was like him..nothing like tough love from a man who probably hadn't had to use his sword..E-V-E-R! I think I would have simply stabbed him with my sword and took the crown off his head but that would be a very, very short story!

    S.M.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh yeah! You've introduced both plot and character conflict. Uhm, wow; a lesser son in need of a quest.

    Awesome.

    I'm intrigued by this weak character, over shadowed by his dead brothers' valor and the expectations of an over bearing father. Talk about introducing character growth!?

    The world and specific culture are both well set up. Yeah, I'd read on Chris L. Look out Titans, Caenus is on the path to his destiny.

    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow! Talk about a pushy parent! I felt for poor Caenus. Really enjoyed the exchange between father and son, and really interested now to find out what the games involve! Definitely hooked me and reeled me in there!

    ReplyDelete