Monday, February 13, 2012

Hook, Line, and Sinker Blogfest Entry


Thank You to Justin Parente over at In My Write Mind for hosting the 2nd Annual Hook, Line and Sinker blogfest.


Objective: Post your 500-1000 word hook and critique other hooks posted by participants

Suggestive topics to consider when critiquing:

  • Does the character have a personality I can fall into easily? This includes any dialogue exchanged.
  • Is the world around them set up to compliment the character as they're introduced?
  • Are there secondary characters to assist with the hook?
  • Lastly, would I read more?
Please jump around and critique the rest of the entries.
So here is my entry.
****


The distance between darkness and light was a nano-moment, my mother once told me. A sliver of space. The breadth of a strand of hair. I didn’t know what she’d meant until that day. And still wished I didn’t.
I trudged up the darkened beach, digging my toes in the sand with each step. Visions of pearl-skinned sea nymphs still danced in my head. Their iridescent eyes and seductive charms made me smile.
“C’mon, Zeus,” Anytos called, throwing a stick at my feet.
I held a finger in the air.
"Zeus, seriously!" He clapped his hands. 
"Wait. Hold on." I closed my eyes to enjoy the images of those sea nymphs. Just a while longer.
"Zeus!" His words sliced sideways through my memories of them. “Sun’s nearly up. We don’t have much time!” Tos stood at the top of a dune, calling down to me.
I sighed. “I’m coming.”    
I hated the pre-dawn runs we took every morning. The birds weren’t even up yet. I couldn’t wait to get back to the goats I tended with my mother. Against her wishes, I’d named each one. That’s why she never let me slaughter them for food. Or rather, why I never participated.     
There was nothing too terribly stressful about goat herding. They were a self-sufficient lot. Sometimes watching them was like watching the sun crawl across the sky. In those moments, my mind wandered like a stray goat.
I’d always felt like I could do more. Be more. Something inside of me clawed for the extraordinary. Yet I had to face that I’d likely never leave Crete.
I joined Tos at the top of the dune and looked across the dusty Cretan expanse that stretched into darkened low-lying hills. Tos turned to me. "You ready?”
“Let’s do it…”
Before I finished speaking, Tos had taken off running, like being shot from a bow. His feet pounded the path as he ran ahead. I crested a high ridge in pursuit. A burning sensation spider-webbed through my lungs as I saw the sun’s first ray in the east. Pushing onward, I strained to keep pace with Tos, whose legs moved at a pace I simply couldn’t match. Not yet anyway.
“Faster, Zeus,” he yelled over his shoulder.
“We’ve been running non-stop since the southern coast.”
I stopped and clutched my chest. Ragged breaths came in gasps. I placed my sweaty palms on my knees and inhaled deeply. I knew that running daily would benefit me somehow. But, that didn’t mean I had to like it.
Anytos turned abruptly. “Whose fault is it we’ve been running such a distance, huh? I promised Amalthea I’d keep you safe, Zeus,” he responded. “You. Here. Not safe. Let’s go!”
"Hmmmph." I stood straight, stretching to one side then the other. I knew he was right. We’d been out way too long. But boy were those nymphs worth it. I took another deep breath and stared back toward the east.
“I knew I shouldn’t have let you talk me into going to see those sea nymphs again,” Anytos continued. “Shoulda known better than that. The Tribe is gonna be pissed when we get back.”
“Don’t act like you didn’t have a good time.” I managed a half smile despite my fatigue, rustling fingers through my hair.
"That’s way beside the point. The longer we’re away from the cave, the less safe you are."
I totally resented not being safe. I’d watched my mother’s pained expressions over the years. Stress from living in constant fear.
Tos began running again, building another healthy lead. He looked like a shadow moving through the trees. Rocking back on my heels, I resolved to finish. One last push. Come on. Dig Deep.
I lunged forward. Chasing Tos up the next incline, my feet barely touched the ground. I ran so fast, I didn’t even feel the rocks on the tree-lined path. As I reached the next ridge, a ray of sunlight speared my eye through the trees and blinded me momentarily.
I forced my stride farther. Wider. My arms whipped the air at my sides. I grinned as I closed the gap between us.
Ahead, the cave opening beckoned. The Cave. My home. I knew the drill. Get to the cave before someone sees you, they’d say. Someone like who? Who’d ever come looking for me?
I saw the dark silhouette of my mother sitting on a hillside just above the cave, surrounded by lightly grazing goats. Crouched, she gripped a hooked staff, on which she counterbalanced her weight. Her tunic rustled gently in the thick, salty breeze.
The sun rose faster than usual. Ridiculously fast. I stopped to look at the sky, marveling at the rapid ascension. Darkness to light. What had been a beautiful sunrise, quickly dissolved into chaos.
Tos pulled my arm almost from its socket. “That’s not normal, Zeus. We need to get in the cave!” His face looked like a fig left in the sun too long, wrinkled and severe.
We sprinted the final stretch around my guardian tribe, the Kouretes, who danced in a circle. Their chants filled the air. Fully armored, their tunics flapped around their frames as helmets clanked atop their heads. Shouts echoed across the plain, punctuated by spears clashing against shields. They always said that they chanted to ward off evil spirits. To protect me. All I heard was constant noise, really.
As we drew closer to the cave, my mother stood suddenly and turned toward the sun. The sky brightened, and the sun’s brilliance grew more insistent. I shielded my eyes but the heat was searing. Spots dotted my vision. I watched my skin darken by the second. Sweat beaded all over my bronzing skin at once.
My heart raced wildly. “What’s going on here? Why is the sun falling?"
“Remember we kept telling you somebody might see you if you’re out too long?” Tos asked.
I nodded nervously.
“Hyperion’s descending!” He pushed my shoulder. “Get in the cave!”

14 comments:

  1. okay, I'm going to jump right in here.

    First I had no idea who the mc was, how old, or if he was even human since there was early implications of a fantasy world...I was wondering if it was a dog (and thought that might be cool) The stick being thrown at his feet, the running, plus hearding goats... without being told I had no clue who I was reading about so I couldn't get into it.

    Second thing that messed with me was the nymphs. Backstory is boring. If you want nymphs, then don't mention them--take me to them. I don't want to read about him remembering- I want to see it in my head for myself. (does that make sense? haha)-every now and again backstory is okay, but typically it is best to give us the real deal-not the memory of it.

    So as a hook, I thought a scene with the nymphs would have been more hooking. And because I couldn't get a grip on what was going on, I couldn't get into it.

    For a hook we want a clear character and conflict. I didn't get either from this. But I see potential, and the story sounds like it has a neat plot...it just needs to come across clearer to the reader. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris!

    It's been a while, and this is completely different in tone and voice than the last piece of yours I read for a fest. I love, love the shift from tranquil opening, to chaos that matches the rising of the sun. Interesting effect for the opening.

    I'd keep reading for sure.

    -J-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chris,

    So, I actually saw this bit when it was featured on the Pitch Workshop a few days ago. Anyway, your writing is still as strong as ever. Jodi has the right thoughts: your opening is simply fantastic. It's elegant, simply and displays where you're going to be taking us on this adventure. I'm not sure if this is the same story that I read snippets of maybe a year ago across various blogfests, so if it is, great job. I don't recognize it.

    Thanks for sharing!

    JWP

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. I was confused if this is not possibly "THE Zeus", the All-Father of the Greeks, but I like the "feel" of this character: a bronze-age goat-herder on the Isle of Crete, running footraces with his friend Anytos. I'm not really sure about the allusion to nymphs.

    2. The setting is the strong point, with lots of detail about the physical exertion. One thing which sort of makes my nose wrinkle are the creeping American slang expression which don't really belong in a tale about ancient Greece. I'm speaking of things like "Let's do it...", "going to be pissed", etc. It would be perfect if you applied a "slang/vernacular filter".

    3. Since it's Zeus telling the tale, the assisting characters add spice and colour. It's almost as if you could do it without them. Perhaps a switch to 3rd person singular would make them more prominent.

    4. The hook is in the last line, but it's a near-miss. Many will read on simply to find out who the heck Hyperion is, because they're not familiar with Diodorus. I think what you need is a sentence of two about the impending doom Hyperion represents, so all the readers say in their heads, "Oh-Oh!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the above comment. I felt like the characterization was pretty good. The only problem being I wasn't sure if it was Zeus or his friend who was the reckless personality. It was like you couldn't decide. I would have kept on with it so great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The characters and the setting are very well built; and so is the tension. I like how you drop bits and pieces of the back story, the relationships, and the environment into the story plot. Yes, I'd read more.

    You are very talented Chris.

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  7. While there's plenty to be confused about here, there's plenty more that thrills. I agree with Amber that a flashback to the nymphs would be more satisfying than a remembrance, but I wouldn't change this as your hook--it works! I agree with Weissdorn on the slang, it would be nice if the slang were period-appropriate. Then again, if Zeus is a modern day goat-herder, then I suppose it's not as much of a problem, but the slang is still American and not Greek. Still, very cool piece!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMIGOSH!! This is fantastic! You have a phenomenal voice. Your writing is smooth and flows easily. I would definitely read more. I want to read more, please? You totally and completely hooked me.

    Fabulous post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm hooked, definitely - love your characters, the world you've painted, the whole deal. At first, the choices of mythological names confused me, but by the end I'm wondering - is the MC really supposed to be Zeus, the King of the Olympians? I'm not super-expert on Greek mythology, but I do remember that Zeus's mother hid him from his father, Kronus King of the Titans. So, is this young Zeus still living in hiding?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful writing. I especially like the beginning, and it's got a great buildup and a punch to the end.

    Nice to meet you, Christopher--I'm a fellow campaigner and new follower, and I'm tagging you for "11 questions" (see my blog) if you feel like answering! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - that was excellent. I wish I could keep reading. The humanity of young men appreciating what sea nymphs had to offer and the physical stress of running made the supernatural aspects still very relatable. I very much enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Chris, I'm stopping over from the campaign. But since I stumbled on this post, I'll leave my 2 cents.

    I think you should start the piece where Tos yells: "Faster, Zeus,” he yelled over his shoulder. That's where the action really begins. The paragraphs before that don't add to the story.

    If you want to hook your readers, you need to make them feel empathy or concern for your characters. You've done a good job with that by letting the reader know that he has to be back in the cave before he is seen. Now we're like, hurry Zeus, don't be seen. BUT, we would care even more if we had a little hint as to WHY he can't be seen.

    A lot of writers make the mistake of thinking that by withholding information (especially information that the mc knows) they are creating curiosity to make the reader want to read more. But in actuality, all they create is frustration. A reader who knows the stakes will care a hundred times more. I know that's hard to establish in just the first 500-1000 words and maybe you've got all that coming right up. :) But it's something to think about.

    I would definitely read more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. New follower here! :) Great work. I think you have a great voice there...absolutely great voice! Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete